The purpose of this manual is to remove barriers to Low Impact Development implementation by providing engineering tools, planning guidance, and case study examples that are relevant to the South Carolina coastal zone.
Goal: Utilize local knowledge and expertise to identify flood prone areas around the rivers in Georgetown County.
Outcome: Prioritized list of focus area and nature based projects to reduce flood potential.
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is producing research and technical assistance to enable transportation agencies to use natural and nature-based features to improve the resilience of transportation systems.
This white paper briefly describes the current state of practice regarding the use of nature‐based coastal solutions in general and with specific emphasis on their use along coastal highways. It provides an overview of available tools for design, implementation challenges, and knowledge gaps.
Introduction to nature-based solutions
• Case studies
• Nature-based solutions in a post-disaster environment
• Barriers to implementation
• Potential and innovative funding sources
• Introduction to natural and nature-based solutions
• Approaches, case studies, and resources
• Considering natural and nature-based solutions for redevelopment and recovery
• How these approaches fit into FEMA programs