Resilient Islands in Jamaica
The project team will work with the Jamaican Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation to align activities with the National Development Plan for Jamaica: Vision 2030 (2009), which includes a National Outcome of “Hazard Risk Reduction and Adaptation to Climate Change”.
Through Resilient Islands, the government of Jamaica will have a clear pipeline of ecosystem-based adaptation (EBA) projects for one to three coastal communities. Government agencies, partners and the selected communities will benefit from:
- A vulnerability capacity assessment (VCA) to understand their specific areas of risk
- A checklist of EBA actions for the community
- A guide for how to adapt community planning tools to integrate EBA solutions
- A mobile app for community resilience planning
- Locally-selected, site-specific EBA demonstration projects and model sites that enhance coastal resilience and provide lessons learned for the entire nation
The Environmental Foundation of Jamaica (EFJ) will have access to the information and training needed to prioritize investments in coastal habitats that help decrease the vulnerability of climate change of the communities they work in.